Despite it’s small size of 5.13 km2, there are plenty of amazing spots to throw down your blanket and enjoy a meal alfresco while embracing the beach town vibe of White Rock. Here are some top spots chosen by White Rock locals:
1. The Beach: Check the tide chart before deciding on this picnic destination. On low tide, the sand can extend almost to the end of the pier, which creates multiple sandy patches to bring a lawn chair and spend the afternoon. Tip: to maximize your picnic time and minimize the risk of getting caught by the rising tide, we recommend choosing a spot to the far east of the pier as there tends to be more exposed sand on this side. Pick up an order of fish & chips from one of the many excellent spots on Marine Drive and enjoy dining on the beach with a five star view.
2. Bayview Park: Gorgeous views of the Pacific without the hassle of getting sand in your food, this is definitely a popular place for a picnic. Come early to claim one of the picnic tables and bring along your BBQ to spend the afternoon with friends and family eating and basking in the sunshine. Closely located to washrooms and the pay parking lot, this is an easily accessible picnic location. This is also the only dog friendly venue along the beach, including the sand in front of the park, providing that your pooch is on leash.You can find it at the end of the West Beach Promenade on Marine Drive at the intersection of Bay Street.
3. Dr. R. J. Allan Hogg Rotary Park: Over two acres of beautifully landscaped grass and gardens, this park is a nice retreat from the hustle and bustle of the beach. With picnic tables and lots of space to throw down a blanket under the shade of the trees, consider this park as a good option when you need a break from the sun. Located nearby is the White Rock Public Library and the Five Corners shopping district of Uptown, 15400 block of Buena Vista Avenue.
4. Centennial Park: With a playground, swings, washrooms, and covered picnic tables, this place is perfect for families. There’s plenty of green grass to lay down a blanket, and after your meal stroll down the shaded forest trails of the ravine that lead you to West Beach. Also bring along your pooch and take advantage of the off leash fenced dog area. Located at 14600 North Bluff Road, and a pay parking lot can be found next to the Peace Arch Curling Centre.
5. Totem Park: This small patch of grass has a gorgeous panoramic view of East Beach and beyond. Located above the promenade with well tended gardens, there are also two totem poles nearby with plaques that explain the significance of each. With many fish and chip places located within a 5 minute walk, there’s no need to worry about lugging around your picnic basket. On sunny days this is a popular spot, so get here early to secure a spot. Located along the East beach side of Marine Drive next to “the hump” dividing West and East Beach, in the block between Balsam Street and Dolphin Street.